Saturday 28 March 2015

Open Combat Part 2 (Or "Yep, I do miss Realms of Chaos")

In my last post I talked about Open Combat and how I definately wasn't going to get a physical copy of the book through the Kickstarter. Well once again my legendary resolve kicked in and I changed my mind. In my defence they added campaign rules, how could I resist?

"No! I won't back it!"
I've been rummaging through my box of bits and digging out suitable models from the remains of my old WoC force. After a bit of converting and buying a few cheap Reaperbones models I've put together a sizeable warband - probably from more figures than I will ever need but variety is always good.

At least I used a different bit of my favourite picture this time...
Blame this guy for everything you read here.
This is the only unconverted infantry model in the force; GW's wonderful Nurgle chaos lord. I make a point of keeping a single figure from each army I sell and this was the obvious survivor of my Warhammer sell off. I've done a few touch ups where the paint had chipped as well adding some extra detail using the GW technical paints.

I could paint this guy over and over again
This is a Chaos sorcerer I kitbashed from a plaguebearer body and a chaos warrior cloak. The staff is made from a standard pole topped with some marauder horseman bits. I think the pointing arm is from a stormvermin champion.
It came to me in a dream...
Then I made a few warriors. The first is a simple headswap and some heads added to the hand (though I had to greenstuff on some hair). The body is PP's Butcher warcaster with a Mercei miniture head. The second is a GW warrior with a marauder head and a censor from the Screaming Bell kit.

Taking the Butcher's head off was tricky.
Lovely camp old warrior!
Every warband needs banner to march behind. This is the body that provided the Butcher's new head with a marauder banner and pick. The head is from a Mantic zombie I think.
I'm very proud of this guy too.
If you are going to make a chaotic band them you need monsters. This kitbash is based on a Wyrd Desolation Engine with GW parts and some simple greenstuff work. The height of the model looks a little odd,  I might end up posing him on a rock when he's done.
The photo doesn't do it justice
Then we have the Eye Beast and the Giant Wurm from Reaper and a couple of Mantic zombies. These will probably not be converted as they seem good enough on their own and I'm honestly not sure how to improve them. Then I figured "this needs plague zombies" so I rebased a few. I'll repaint them too as the current paintjob is laughable.
I'm amazed at the quality of these for the price
These guys are lucky to be here. I don't like Mantic models very much
My plan for paint scenes is fairly typical Nurgle making use of the rust, blood, pus and corrosion effects from GW. I think the beauty of doing a small force like this is that I can treat each model as a character and not lose interest doing rank after rank of the same sculpt...

Not since Devlin Mud has so much talent come in such a small pot.
Putting this together had also got me looking for a similar style Sci Fi game (or at least hoping for gun rules) so I can add some of the Dark Vengeance cultists as gun toting cannon fodder to support the proper fighters. After asking on Twitter I might try and use the Fistful of Kung Fu rules but we'll have to see.

Next time I write it will probably be an update about my Farrow. I've got a 15pt Arkadius force painted that I want to show off...

He's coming...

5 comments:

  1. I've seen a few blogs where folk use "Pulp Alley" rules for Rogue Trader style games. Might be worth a look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've been mulling over Pulp Alley. I've also thought of using Strange Aeons (which are in turn pretty clearly based on Necromunda) but it would be just enough of a hassle to convert it that I haven't bothered.

      Delete
    2. I've picked up a copy of Pulp Alley and it does look pretty cool. Fairly simple but with an interesting campaign system...

      I also found Star Grunt but that isn't skirmish.

      Delete
    3. I've picked up a copy of Pulp Alley and it does look pretty cool. Fairly simple but with an interesting campaign system...

      I also found Star Grunt but that isn't skirmish.

      Delete
    4. Star Grunt would not be a good match; it is way toward the more "realistic' end. I tried using Flying Lead and it worked OK but maybe there is not enough granularity.

      Delete